This delicious recipe is simple as far as risottos go, which was key tonight so we could spend more time with friends and less time in the kitchen!
We give this Risotto with Peas and Prosciutto an XOXO!
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (we left this out and didn’t miss it)
Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan and keep at a bare simmer, covered.
Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until absorbed.
Stir in 1 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering risotto and adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition become absorbed before adding next, until rice is just tender and creamy but still al dente, 18 to 20 minutes (there will be leftover broth).
Stir in peas, prosciutto, zest, 2/3 cup cheese, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and salt and pepper to taste. If necessary, thin risotto with some of remaining broth. Serve immediately, with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.